Scientific Intern – San Diego, CA
We are unable to offer relocation assistance for this position. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
We are looking for a scientific intern to help advance our therapeutic purification and characterization processes in the R&D group. This entails learning how to implement biochemistry and purification methods in a pharmaceutical company setting. The intern will work alongside individual Scientists to learn and perform key techniques in protein biochemistry and molecular biology.
The intern will also learn to design and carry out experiments related to our processes and in support of the project. At the end of the internship, the intern will present the data and results via PowerPoint presentation at a group research meeting.
We expect a minimum of 10 hours commitment per week. Please submit your quarterly class schedule ahead of time so we can plan and discuss weekly work schedules.
This paid internship is highly recommended for those who want experience working in a biotechnology company and to gain exposure to the skills listed below.
- Student majoring in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related field
- Basic lab skills required (pipetting skills, ability to measure volume and mass). Prior lab experience preferred
- Basic knowledge about proteins, peptides, lipids and analysis techniques
- Basic knowledge about DNA/RNA/cDNA, plasmids, restriction enzymes
- Excellent oral communication and lab documentation skills
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Strong teamwork and ability to work independently on a project
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel (for data analysis) and PowerPoint (for data presentation)
Intern will get exposure to:
- Biochemistry: Column chromatography, lyophilization (freeze-drying), SDS gel electrophoresis, protein concentration determination, western blotting, antibody detection
- Molecular Biology: Agarose gel electrophoresis, PCR gene amplification, DNA/RNA purification, plasmid restriction and ligation, spectrophotometry
- Microbiology: Aseptic techniques, E. coli cultivation, growth media and agar plate preparation, antibiotic selection markers
- Professional work environment and key project presentation skills